I took out some of my favorite Crafter's Workshop templates and my all time favorite medium - Dry Dex Spackling (yes as in for walls, got it at Home Depot!) I put a blob of it down and pushed a corrugate cup holder into it for design. Then I took the cup holder and pushed that down for the reverse. Next I played with all of my templates. I wanted to have a varied texture, varied patterned look. The idea is that everything is perfect just the way it was created.
Here is step 1:
When the spackle dries (which is what I love about this product - it goes on pink and turns white when dry) I will add my first layer of paint in my main color - cobalt blue.
I actually waited much longer and then added both of my main colors - Cobalt Blue and Christmas Red, as well as misting some Adirondack Denim Blue Color Wash. I just squired the blue and red out of the bottles onto the canvas.
I had anticipated using a sea sponge to work the colors in but wasn't able to find it. Instead I used my usual standard - smearing with a credit card. I realized why I wanted to do the blue first and then the red as I did not want them to mix - I wiped the card in between colors but some were close together and the red was darkened.
My next step was to add Distress Ink in Faded Jeans, Salty Ocean, Barn Door and Festive Berries using an ink blending tool.
I found a piece of my sea sponge and used that with the blue acrylic paint to go over most of the canvas. I then took red paint and flicked it on with an open spray bottle.
I think my next step will be to add some other dimensions and possibly more red.
For the dimension I started with adding some Liquid Beadz. I have decided that I don't really care for them much. They did not apply as well as they implied they would. I splattered more red acrylic paint and then added a variety of buttons using Glossy Accents.
I need to do the sides of the canvas which I will probably just do with the paints and sea sponge. And the next and possibly final step would be some collage which I think I am going to do with words.
OK...I did the sides the way I figured that I would. I also added several other touches to the front inclujding blue glass beads, seashells, pieces of red trim and words of affirmation using miniature scrabble tiles.
I think that I am ready for a sealing coat of glossy spray!