PRECIOUS PAGES by PAULA

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

MY VISIT TO HAGLEY - PAGE 1

Tonite I worked on a layout that covers a lot of bases.  I started with papers and a journal tag I received for the Ugly Paper Challenge on Scrapbook.com.

Here is what I had to start working with:



As I began to look for photos to work with I noticed that the first photo in the first envelope I peeked into perfectly matched the paper on the left.  Now I was ready to roll...

I looked for a sketch I could work with and found the perfect one - #116 from Sketches in Thyme.




One of the word challenges on Sunnyside Up Creations was the word "ENJOY".  I really did enjoy hearing the beginning of the duPont story and touring where it all began.  Which reminded me that there was a brand new challenge blog that opened yesterday called Use Your Words and the very first challenge was to use the word "STORY".

I continued searching my supplies and discovered some Tim Holtz Retro Grunge papers in the same color combo.  I chose a sheet to use for my background.  I found another with some perfect little squares.  As the layout developed I chose some black rickrack, I flipped the journaling card over, stamped it with my favorite Donna Salazar stamp and clipped the corners.  I inked the edges of everything.  I decided on my title - Enjoy the Story and added it onto the tag with some letters that were a perfect match from a sheet of stickers from 100 Days of Summer that had been laying on my desk forever.  I put all that together, added the date that I went and it was beginning to feel complete when I noticed a package of Petaloo flowers that had 2 that were a wonderful match.  As I went to take the photo I saw some wonderful little black half pearls and added them.  Finally...here is the result -





I can't wait to start working with this batch of photos.  The museum was very 'Steampunk' and I don't often get to work in that style so I am expecting to get to play with some different sort of embellishments and mediums.  I took several photos so over the next several weeks get prepared to view the duPont story beginning with Hagley - where it all began.  I intend to visit the Nemours Mansion and Gardens to hear more of the story of this great Delaware family and of course to take more photos!

Thanks for stopping by!

19 comments:

  1. Beautiful colours. Love how our word is in your photo. Thanks for joining in with us at UYW :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely layout! The papers are deep and rich, and I love the colors and patterns together. Great job! So glad you joined us at Use Your Words!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job Paula, you did a wonderful job with the papers! Thanks for joining us at UYW!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you found the perfect photo and title to fit the challenges! Great job and thanks for playing with our first challenge at use your words!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome layout Paula! Love the dark rich colours. Glad you participated in the very first challenge over at Use Your Words!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job on the sketch! Thank you for joining us at Sketches in Thyme!
    Surama

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic layering and colours! Thanks for joining us at UYW!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful! Love the mix of patterns and colors! Thanks for joining us at UYW!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely mix of papers! Thanks for joining us at UYW!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great layout, and what a perfect photo to use for the challenge word "story." Thanks for playing along at UYW!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the mix of the challenges... you really combined them perfectly. Thanks for playing with us at Sketches in Thyme!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful use for the UYW challenge word as well as combining the challenges. A very pretty layout! Thanks for playing along with us at Use Your Words.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely mix of papers! Great layout!
    Thanks for joining us at UYW!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your layout, the papers work so well with your photo! Thanks for joining us at UYW!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great Combinations. Lovely page. Thanks for sharing at Use Your Words.

    ReplyDelete
  16. great page and LOVE the pops of black!!! sooo glad you played along with Sketches in Thyme!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh wow! You make "ugly" look good! LOL! Actually the pics fit the "museum theme" very well!!
    Thanks for palying w/ us at SIT!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful LO,..... thank you for participating in the challenge SIT! kisses

    ReplyDelete
  19. I just love the warmth that oozes off your page, Paula, and your mix of patterns is yummy! Thanks so much for playing along with us at Sketches in Thyme!

    ReplyDelete